Late June - Still reeling from THE wedding, the emotional roller-coasters that went into it, the gorgeous time-out in Thailand, the whirlwind madness trying to sort out my financial matters, do some final packing, and organising dinners with family and relatives before leaving on a plane.
July - Waking up at 11am, watching the news and having breakfast, then watching Dr. Phil, Oprah, Ready Steady Cook and My Wife and Kids. Somewhere in there, hard as it may be, I fit in lunch. If all this sounds too decadent, you will be pleased to know that I then started to dabble with my CV and send it out to job advertisements. I had a Bunny-on-Redbull moment when I got the call from both the University of Western Australia (UWA) and Curtin University asking me down for interviews. I never got a call back when I was looking in Singapore so this was indeed a refreshing change.
August - Curtin University didn't want me. UWA did!!! Another Bunny-on-Redbull moment. Skip, bounce, skip, hop, bounce, bounce, skip, hop, hop, bounce, roll, bounce. But I was beginning to get used to my Tai-Tai (i.e Lady of Leisure) lifestyle that it was painfully hard getting me out of bed anytime before 9.30am. So I began the excruciating process of savouring my last days of freedom. Ouch.
September - Settling into the new job. Making new friends at work, griping about certain new friend at work. Spending the weekends poring through the newspapers and driving to home opens.
October - Spending more weekends poring through the newspapers and driving to home opens. Made offers on two homes before succeeding on the third. When we finally got the call to say the owners have accepted our offer, we were so relieved. No more house--bloody-hunting. This also meant we had to start packing. We said we didn't have that much stuff anyway. Ev thought he could stuff the car with his clothes and drive them over to the new place.
November - We DID have that much stuff, by the way. Ev and I packed most of his clothes into boxes but there were some that he had to put in the car. The Big Move - big because the amount of scrubbing and cleaning involved was massive! If we hadn't been renting, the scrubbing and cleaning would have been halved but because we wanted our bond (deposit) back on our rental, we had to make sure the place was squeaky clean and gleaming when we left.
December - Here we are. The month of retail therapy. People underestimate and even scoff at the idea of retail therapy. The concept of it is very misunderstood and there is much to say about retail therapy and its strengths and benefits. If you take a young Singaporean and put her in oh let's say, Perth, you will know what I mean. Thank God for December, extended shopping hours and Boxing Day Sales.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment